Psoriasis is a common yet non-contagious condition of the skin. It occurs when the immune system emits faulty signals that cause the skin to grow too thickly. An abundance of skin cells build up and create scaly, red, itchy patches.
Psoriasis manifests in multiple forms, including:
- Large plaque psoriasis, which produces large areas of scaly, red skin
- Guttate psoriasis, where the skin forms tiny pink spots
- Pustular psoriasis, when the entire skin is red and painful
- Joint psoriasis, also known as psoriatic arthritis, in which patients experience joint inflammation that can lead to joint destruction if not treated
At this time, the medical field has not pinpointed the exact cause of psoriasis, but we are aware of many factors that can contribute to its development and trigger flare-ups:
- Being between the ages of 15 and 30 or 50 and 60
- Strep throat
- Dry, cold weather
- Certain medications
- Skin injury
The most common symptom of psoriasis is an inflammatory skin rash, though many patients also experience internal inflammation, which can contribute to destructive joint arthritis, heart problems, and diabetes. Dermatology & Plastic Surgery Specialists offers a variety of treatments to reduce these symptoms, and we will design your treatment plan based on the severity and extent of your condition. Treatment methods include oral, topical, and injected medication, and light and laser therapies.
Though psoriasis is a chronic disease, Dr. Michael J. Messina and our team are highly experienced in treating skin conditions with the latest and most advanced techniques, and we are committed to providing a customized treatment plan. Call 760-773-6616 today to learn more about psoriasis in Palm Desert, California, and to schedule a time to meet with our dermatologist.